Home energy emergency assistance

The Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme (HEEAS) is designed to support low-income customers experiencing sudden or temporary financial difficulties who are unable to pay their current energy bill.

Assistance is offered as a one-off emergency payment of up to $720 in any 12 month period, for a maximum of two consecutive years.

Find out if you're eligible

You'll need to meet a few conditions in order to be eligible to receive assistance under the scheme.

1. Have a retail electricity account

You need a retail electricity account at your principal place of residence, with an outstanding amount that you're unable to pay. If your electricity account is in more than one name, only one person who is eligible to under the scheme and resides at the residence can receive assistance.

2. Plus one of the following:

  • A current concession card, held in the same name as your Ergon Energy Retail electricity account
  • Live in a low-income household, with an income less than the Australian Government's maximum income rate for part-age pensioners. For details on income rates, contact Centrelink
  • Be part of our Customer Assist program or have an active payment plan in place to manage your outstanding bill payments.

Apply for the scheme

If you're experiencing difficulties paying your bill and want to apply for the Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme, you'll need to:

  1. Call us on 13 10 46 to request an application form and     we'll post one out to you. Only     original copies of the form will be accepted
  2. Complete the form and return it to     the Department     of Communities to assess     your application and personal circumstances.

For more details on the scheme eligibility or your application, contact the Queensland Government Department of Communities on 13 74 68.

Open welcome popup

We've made a few changes so that you can find information more easily.