Low income household rebate

The Low Income Household Rebate is available for eligible customers on behalf of the New South Wales Government, to assist with the cost of electricity.

The rebate is applied as a daily amount, which is then paid to you in instalments through your electricity bill. The exact amount of the rebate paid on each bill will depend on the number of days in each billing period.

Find out if you're eligible for the rebate

You'll need to meet a few conditions in order for us to help you apply for the Low Income Household Rebate.

1: Be a resident of New South Wales.

This needs to be your principal place of residence and the only residence that you're claiming a rebate for, within or outside New South Wales.

2: Have a retail electricity account.

We can help you apply for the rebate if you're a retail customer of Ergon Energy Retail at the residence for which the rebate is claimed.

If you're a customer of another retailer, please contact them directly and let them know that you may be eligible for the Low Income Household Rebate.

Customers receiving electricity from, or on behalf of, the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata  scheme need to apply directly to the New South Wales Government.

3: Hold an eligible pensioner or health care card.

You'll need to have at least one of the following pensioner or health care cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Health Services or the Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • Health Care Card issued by the Department of Health Services
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card and also be receiving the War Widow/er, special rate TPI or Disability Pension.

Commonwealth Senior Heath Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.

Full details on eligibility and answers to frequently asked questions are available online from the New South Wales Government website.

Apply for the rebate

If you consider that you may be eligible to receive the Low Income Household Rebate, you can apply by calling us with your concession card or healthcare card details on 13 10 46.