Moving house checklist
Moving house can be a stressful time with so many things to do. Use our handy checklist to ensure your move is as smooth and stress free as possible.
4-6 weeks out
- If buying a home, confirm the settlement date and final inspection date
- If renting, confirm the key collection date for your new home and the inspection date for your old address
- Arrange home and contents insurance for your new home
- Organise school and childcare transfers as early as possible
- Depending how far you are moving, obtain medical, pet and school records
- Book a removalist
- Book cleaners if required for your old and/or new home
- Sort your belongings and donate to charity, sell or dispose of anything you don’t want
- Start using up food in the freezer and cupboard.
3 weeks out
- Move your electricity quickly and easily with Ergon Energy Retail
- Transfer and set up other utilities e.g. gas, internet, phone, pay TV
- Redirect your mail, newspapers and any other subscriptions
- Book time off work if required
- Ask a friend or family member to help out with children and pets on moving day
- Organise packing materials – boxes, tape, bubble wrap, markers
- Pack non-essential items and label all boxes with the contents and room destination.
1-2 weeks out
- Start using up the food in the fridge
- Pack remaining items
- Pack an essentials box with items like sheets, towels, toilet paper, medication, special children’s toys, pet bowls and leads, scissors and tools for assembling furniture
- Back up your important documents online
- Reconfirm all moving details with your removalist and lawyer or real estate agent.
The day before
- Defrost and empty your fridge
- Unplug appliances
- Pack up any last minute items
- Say goodbye to your old neighbours
- Get a good night’s sleep to stay positive and energised.
- Supervise the removalists and give clear directions on where furniture and other items should go
- Lock all doors and windows when you leave your old home and turn off any lights
- Check you have all keys and relevant instructions for your new home
- Check everything is to your satisfaction before the removalists leave
- Assemble and make the beds
- Return keys for your old home to the real estate agent
- Say hello to your new neighbours
- Relax in your new home and congratulate yourself on your successful move!