We offer an electricity rebate for customers on behalf of the Queensland Government, to assist with the cost of electricity.
The rebate is available for eligible pensioners, seniors, health care card holders and asylum seekers.
The rebate is applied as a daily amount, which is then paid to you in instalments through your electricity bill. The exact amount of the rebate paid on each bill will depend on the number of days in each billing period.
Find out if you're eligible for the rebate
You'll need to meet a few conditions in order to be eligible to receive the Queensland Government Electricity Rebate. Please note only one rebate can be paid per eligible household.
1: Have a retail electricity account
You need a retail electricity account at the residence for which the rebate is claimed.
This needs to be your principal place of residence and the only residence that you're claiming a rebate for, within or outside Queensland.
2: Hold an eligible card
You'll need to have at least one of the following cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card and also be receiving the War Widow/er or special rate TPI Pension
- Queensland Seniors Card
- Commonwealth Health Care Card
- Australian Government ImmiCard, with asylum seeker status.
As part of the application process, you'll need to consent for us to verify your personal information with relevant Government departments.
3: Live alone or with selected individuals
With the exception of casual visitors, you must also live alone or only share your principal place of residence with:
- your spouse
- other people who hold a Pensioner Concession Card, Queensland Seniors Card, Commonwealth Health Care Card or Australian Government ImmiCard with asylum seeker status
- other people wholly dependent on you
- other people who receive an income support payment from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office, or the Department of Veterans' Affairs and who do not pay rent
- other people who live with you to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.
If you live in a residential home park or in multi-unit residential premises, you need to have an individually metered electricity supply and the support of the proprietor to apply for the rebate on your behalf.
Apply for the rebate
If you consider that you may be eligible to receive the Queensland Government Electricity Rebate, you can apply:
Quickly and instantly apply for the rebate or update your concession details online via My Account.
If you have an Australian Government ImmiCard with asylum seeker status, please complete our online form to add or update your concession details and one of our representatives will process your request.
Call us on 13 10 46 (7am – 6:30pm, Mon - Fri).
Application for proprietors
Proprietors of residential home parks or multi-unit residences can apply for the Queensland Government Electricity Rebate on behalf of eligible pensioners or seniors.
Requests to claim the electricity rebate for residents must be made by the due date of each corresponding bill.
Download and complete the Electricity Rebate Application Form for proprietors (PDF 254.2 kb) and return it by email to email@example.com or by post to Ergon Energy Retail, PO Box 308, Rockhampton QLD 4700.
The proprietor is responsible for completing and submitting the application form. Residents must give permission for the energy retailer, federal and state governments to check their details.