Electricity rebate

We offer an electricity rebate for eligible pensioners and seniors on behalf of the Queensland Government, to assist with the cost of electricity.

The rebate is applied as a daily amount, which is then paid to you in instalments through your electricity bill. The exact amount of the rebate paid on each bill will depend on the number of days in each billing period.

Find out if you're eligible for the rebate

You'll need to meet a few conditions in order to be eligible to receive the Queensland Government Electricity Rebate.

1: Have a retail electricity account.

You need a retail electricity account at the residence for which the rebate is claimed.

This needs to be your principal place of residence and the only residence that you're claiming a rebate for, within or outside Queensland.

2: Hold an eligible pensioners or seniors card.

You'll need to have at least one of the following pensioners or seniors cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card and also be receiving the War Widow/er or special rate TPI Pension
  • Queensland Seniors Card.

As part of the application process, you'll need to consent for us to verify your personal information with the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services, Centrelink, Department of Veterans' Affairs and Department of Human Services.

3: Live alone or with selected individuals.

With the exception of casual visitors, you must also live alone or only share your principal place of residence with:

  • your spouse
  • other people who hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Queensland Seniors Card
  • other people wholly dependent on you
  • other people who receive an income support payment from Centrelink, the Family Assistance Office, or the Department of Veterans' Affairs and who do not pay rent
  • other people who live with you to provide care and assistance, and who do not pay rent.

If you live in a residential home park or in multi-unit residential premises, you need to have an individually metered electricity supply and the support of the proprietor to apply for the rebate on your behalf.

Apply for the rebate

If you consider that you may be eligible to receive the Queensland Government Electricity Rebate, you can apply:


Complete our online form to add or update your concession details.

By phone

Call us on 13 10 46 (7am – 6:30pm, Mon - Fri).

Application for proprietors

Proprietors of residential home parks or multi-unit residences can apply for the Queensland Government Electricity Rebate on behalf of eligible pensioners or seniors.

Download and complete the Electricity Rebate Application Form for proprietors (PDF 51.0 kb) and return it by email to customerservice@ergon.com.au or by post to Ergon Energy Retail, PO Box 308, Rockhampton QLD 4700.

The proprietor is responsible for completing and submitting the application form. Residents must give permission for the energy retailer, federal and state governments to check their details.

Open welcome popup

We've made a few changes so that you can find information more easily.