If you're a farmer living in a drought affected area, we may be able to help. We offer drought relief in the form of waived charges and deferred payments.
Who is eligible for drought relief?
You can apply to us for drought relief if you:
- are a customer of Ergon Energy Retail
- are a farmer of a property that has been individually drought declared or is within a drought declared area
- have no water to pump or severely restricted access to water
- complete and submit a Drought Relief application form (PDF 110.9 kb).
A declaration of drought must be made under a Queensland Government administrative process.
For more information about drought declarations, visit the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry website.
If you're not an Ergon Energy Retail customer, you can apply online through the Department of Energy and Water Supply.
What drought relief is available?
If you are mainly using electricity to pump water for farm or irrigation purposes, we will waive the fixed charges on your account. These include annual fixed charges under Tariff 66, service fees and minimum payments. They don't include minimum demand charges. The waiver will continue until the drought declaration has been revoked.
If you are experiencing financial difficulty as a result of the drought, you can defer payments on electricity accounts that are used for farming purposes. Interest may be charged on deferred payments. The option to defer will continue until the drought declaration has been revoked. When that happens, repayment terms will be arranged on a case-by-case basis.
How to apply for drought relief?
To apply for drought relief you should:
- Complete an application Download the drought relief application form (PDF 110.9 kb). Attach any required supporting documents.
- Submit your request You can apply by email, fax or post using the instructions provided on the application form.
If you need help completing your application form, please call us on 1800 185 750 (8am - 4.30pm, Mon – Fri).
How will I know if my application has been successful?
We will email or post you the outcome of your application within five working days from the date we receive your completed application form.