Removing an electricity service
When you’re planning to demolish, remove or relocate a building, you’ll need to request to remove the electricity service line and equipment including meters.
If we were the last known retailer for that service, we can help you.
Requesting to remove a service
Please complete and submit an Application for Abolishment of Electricity Supply (PDF 129.7 kb). You’ll need to be the property owner or their authorised agent.
To help us progress your application as quickly as possible, please:
- Complete all fields on the form except where indicated.
- Submit a separate application form for each site.
- Include meter numbers for all meters that are to be removed. Meter numbers are on each meter.
- Provide access to the meter box and service line for the work to be carried out. If access arrangements are insufficient for the work to be completed, a standard call out fee may be charged.
- Ensure the property is vacant, as Ergon Network cannot commence work until the property is vacant.
If you are unsure about any aspect of the application please contact us on 13 10 46 between 7am and 6.30pm Monday to Friday.
Costs to remove the service
Fees of up to $385.99 (incl. GST) per service may apply to remove the electricity service and/or meters.
When you submit an application to remove supply, you will be considered to have agreed for these fees to be charged to you.
Removing the electricity service
The date you request to remove the service is your preferred date. The actual date the works will be completed is subject to the resources available and the extent of the works required.
Once we have transferred your request through to Ergon Network, your supply and/or meters will be removed within 20 business days in urban areas.
Timeframes for removing a service in rural and isolated areas will be agreed with Ergon Network.
Once the service has been removed, its National Metering Identifier (NMI) will be cancelled.
Reconnecting power to the site
To connect an electricity service after it has been removed, you will need to request a new connection. This will involve a new NMI being allocated.