Winter energy savings tips
With a few easy changes you can keep your home warm during the colder months while saving on your energy bills.
View the information on this page as an infographic.
Tips to save during winter:
- Plug those leaks – If you live in an older home, chances are there are leaks around the windows and doors. Use door snakes and weather-strips to block any gaps where heat can escape.
- Use energy efficient appliances – Winter is the perfect time to snuggle up indoors and catch up on that movie backlog, but make sure you're doing it on an energy efficient TV.
- Focus your heating – Instead of heating your whole home, you can save by focussing your heating in commonly used rooms and trapping in warm air by closing windows and doors.
- Consider installing thick curtains – Thick curtains or blinds can be a valuable home asset, helping keep your home warm during winter and cool during summer.
- Run your fan in the opposite direction – Many ceiling fans have an option to run the blades in the opposite direction, pushing hot air down to the room below. This is a great way to ensure you're not wasting any heat.
- Maintain your heater – Cleaning the filters on your heater will ensure it runs efficiently – follow the manufacturer’s instructions to keep it in top shape.
For more information on understanding and managing your home energy use, see our other home energy tips.