Do you or someone else in your household depend on life support equipment? If so, you may like to register for the Life Support Program.
What's the Life Support program?
We understand the critical role a reliable power supply is to anyone with a medical condition who needs life support equipment. To help, we have our Life Support Program for eligible customers to register for additional assistance.
The program provides you with valuable information on power supply interruptions. Knowing when outages are scheduled and when your power is back on will help you to make timely decisions about your life support management plan.
Keeping you informed
As a Life Support Program member, you'll be contacted by us to advise you of planned power outages and, where possible, of unplanned interruptions.
Unfortunately, there will be times when we can’t notify you before a power interruption when the cause is beyond our control – such as during severe weather. In these situations, we’ll contact you as soon as we can.
We will also advise you when power has been restored after both planned and unplanned outages. You’ll receive a phone call with an automated message to let you know your power is back on.
To make sure we don’t interrupt you during the night, these calls will only be made when your power is restored between 6am and 10pm, 7 days a week. We won’t call you if your power is restored between 10pm and 6am.
Important things to know
Please check that the power is on at your place before switching off generators. If for some reason you do not have power restored, call us immediately on 13 22 96 to advise that you don’t have power. If it is an emergency, call us on 13 16 70.
You still need to have an emergency plan to minimise the impact for those on life support equipment. For a list of things to consider for your plan, see our emergency preparation checklists.
You will not be able to use your landline phone if its plugged into a NBN modem and there is a power outage. Should this happen, you must enact your emergency plan.
You may qualify for our Life Support Program if you use the following equipment:
- oxygen concentrator
- intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine
- kidney dialysis machine
- chronic positive airways pressure respirator
- crigler najjar syndrome phototherapy equipment
- ventilator for life support
- any other equipment a registered medical practitioner certifies is required for life support.
For more information on the program and eligibility requirements, read the Life Support brochure (PDF 1.6 mb)
If you're not sure if a medical condition would qualify, please ask your doctor or health care provider.
How do I apply?
Applying for membership of our Life Support program is easy:
- Confirm your eligibility Your medical practitioner can advise whether you or someone living with you has a medical condition that requires life support equipment. Please refer to the Life Support brochure (PDF 1.6 mb) for details.
- Complete the application form Download and fill in the Life Support application form (PDF 58.7 kb).
- Contact your doctor Ask your medical practitioner to fill in and sign the Medical Condition Confirmation section on the form.
- Let us know if you want to be contacted via email If you'd like to be advised of planned interruptions by email, fill in the Additional Planned Interruption Notifications Via Email section on the form.
- Send us your application Post your completed application form back to: Ergon Energy, Reply Paid 308, Rockhampton QLD 4700.
If I have contacted Ergon Energy about the program do I still need to fill in the form?
If you've already contacted us and have been told that you've been registered as a member pending submission of an application form, you'll need to return the completed form to us within 28 days of the date you contacted us to make sure you stay registered.
If you need longer than 28 days to submit your application form or have any questions about applying, please call us on 13 74 66 (7am - 6:30pm, Mon - Fri).
Government concession schemes
If your life support equipment requires electricity for cooling or heating purposes, you may be eligible for a concession under the Queensland Government's Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme.
If your life support equipment includes oxygen concentrators or kidney dialysis machines you may be eligible for the Electricity Life Support Concession Scheme.
For further information on these schemes please visit the Department of Communities website.