Do you or does someone else in your household depend on life support equipment? You may be eligible for our Life Support program, which provides members with valuable information on power supply interruptions.
What's the Life Support program?
Most of us can live without electricity for a time, but we recognise that some people can't. If you or someone else in your household has a medical condition that requires life support equipment, you may be eligible for our Life Support program.
As a member of this program, you'll be contacted by us directly, whenever possible, if there's going to be an interruption in the supply of electricity. And we'll let you know when the power is expected to come back on. You'll also be given a special number to call in the case of supply interruptions.
While the program can assist to keep you informed when the power goes out, you will still need to have an emergency plan to minimise the impact for those on life support equipment. For a list of things to consider when making a life support emergency plan, go to emergency preparation checklists.
You may qualify for this program if you use the following equipment:
- oxygen concentrator
- intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine
- kidney dialysis machine
- chronic positive airways pressure respirator
- crigler najjar syndrome phototherapy equipment
- ventilator for life support
- any other equipment a registered medical practitioner certifies is required for life support.
For more information on the program and eligibility requirements, read the Life Support brochure (PDF 303.4 kb)
If you're not sure if a medical condition would qualify, please ask your doctor or health care provider.
How do I apply?
Applying for membership of our Life Support program is easy:
- Confirm your eligibility Your medical practitioner can advise whether you or someone living with you has a medical condition that requires life support equipment. Please refer to the Life Support brochure (PDF 303.4 kb) for details
- Complete the application form Download and fill in the Life Support application form (PDF 67.6 kb)
- Contact your doctor Ask your medical practitioner to fill in and sign the Medical Condition Confirmation section on the form
- Let us know if you want to be contacted via email If you'd like to be advised of planned interruptions by email, fill in the Additional Planned Interruption Notifications Via Email section on the form
- Send us your application Post your completed application form back to: Ergon Energy, Reply Paid 308, Rockhampton QLD 4700.
If I have contacted Ergon Energy about the program do I still need to fill in the forms?
If you've already contacted us about our Life Support program and have been told that you have been registered as a member pending submission of an application form, you'll need to return the completed forms to us within 28 days of the date you contacted us to make sure you stay registered.
If you need longer than 28 days to submit your application forms or have any questions about applying, please call us on 13 10 46 (7am - 6:30pm, Mon - Fri).
You will not officially become a member of our program until we advise you that your application has been successful.
Government concession schemes
If your life support equipment requires electricity for cooling or heating purposes, you may be eligible for a concession under the Queensland Government's Medical Cooling and Heating Electricity Concession Scheme.
If your life support equipment includes oxygen concentrators or kidney dialysis machines you may be eligible for the Electricity Life Support Concession Scheme.
For further information on these schemes please visit the Department of Communities website.