Loss or damage claims
We recognise our responsibilities and will consider compensation for acts or omissions where we are obliged to do so. The below information will assist you through the process of making a claim.
What you can't claim on
We don't accept responsibility for damage or losses that occur as a result of events that are outside our control, including:
- The effect of wildlife or vegetation contacting powerlines or apparatus
- Natural disasters, storms or lightning related damage and their effect
- Power interruptions where the cause can't be reliably determined
- Acts by others, such as vehicles contacting power poles or vandalism
- Planned power interruptions as part of our normal work
- Instruction by a controlling authority to interrupt power.
How to lodge a claim for loss or damage
When you lodge a claim we ask that you provide some information, including the time, date and address of the event leading to your claim, as well as any information regarding the costs of the damaged property. Where possible, please submit any reports you may have from qualified repairers that confirm the nature of the damage to the item.
We don't accept responsibility for damage or losses due to natural disasters and storm related weather events.
It's important to remember, your home and contents insurance policy may cover electrical-related damage (which can include storm events) to your property or appliances. In this case, you should direct your claim to your insurance company in the first instance.
Your insurance company may require you to provide information from us confirming the nature and cause of the power outage. For this purpose you can request an insurance letter.
Claims can be lodged in the following ways:
- Make an online claim via Customer Self Service.
- Download, complete and send us the Claim for Loss or Damage Form (PDF 1.4 mb). Scan your form and any supporting documents and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can post your claim. Attach any supporting documents to your completed hardcopy Claim Request Form and send to:
Attention: Claims Section
Ergon Energy Network
PO Box 308
Rockhampton QLD 4700
If you need help, call us on 13 74 66 (business hours) to talk with one of our Customer Service Representatives.
We'll advise you of our assessment of your claim within 20 working days after receiving your completed form and supporting documents. More complex claims may take longer to assess, but you'll be updated during the claim process.