Facebook pixel code

Loss or damage claims

If you have experienced loss or damage to your property that you believe was caused by us, you can apply for compensation.

Making a claim for loss or damage

We can help you with the reasonable cost of repairing or replacing damaged or lost property under the following circumstances:

  • Incorrect action by Ergon Energy
  • Failure or inappropriate operation of Ergon Energy equipment.

If your property is covered by insurance, you may prefer to lodge a claim with your insurer. However, if you are not insured or have your claim rejected by your insurer, you can apply for compensation directly from us.

Where appropriate we will compensate you for the cost of repairing or replacing your property 'like for like', not necessarily 'new for old'. Where it is not cost effective to repair damaged property, compensation will be paid for the cost of an equivalent item or the current depreciated value of the damaged item.

As a general guide we are unable to pay compensation for any loss or damage caused by events outside our control, including:

  • Interference by birds or animals
  • Bushfires, lightning, storms, wind-borne debris
  • Motor vehicle or machinery collision with power poles
  • Vandalism
  • Power interruptions for planned work or as directed by a controlling authority
  • Any third party interference to the electricity system.

Documents to support your claim

To help us assess your request, we'll need you to provide documents to confirm the type and value of your claim. These may include:

  • Purchase receipts to confirm ownership and age of the damaged item/s
  • Quotes from qualified repairers to confirm the damage caused and costs to repair
  • Quotes to replace irreparably damaged items with equivalent or similar items
  • Trade summaries to quantify normal business activity.

If your claim relates to motor vehicle damage, please supply a copy of your current vehicle registration.

If your claim is for loss of food, please include an itemised list detailing the quantity, description and cost of each food item (eg. supermarket receipts), along with photographs where possible. Please also provide details of the refrigerator and/or freezer used to store the food, including the manufacturer's name, model number and unit capacity.

How to submit a claim

You can submit your compensation claim in three ways:

  1. Make an online claim via our Network Online Services
  2. Download and complete a hardcopy Claim Request Form (PDF 321.9 kb). Scan your form and any supporting documents and email to claims@ergon.com.au.
  3. Alternatively you can post your claim. Attach any supporting documents to your completed hardcopy Claim Request Form and send to Ergon Energy, PO Box 308, Rockhampton QLD 4700.

If you need help, please call 13 74 66 between 7am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday, to talk with one of our Customer Service Representatives.

Claim assessment

We will advise you of our assessment of your claim within five working days after receiving your completed form and supporting documents. More complex claims may take longer to assess, but you will be updated during the claim process.

Request an insurance letter

If your insurer needs confirmation from us that a power outage occurred in your area at a specified time, you can request an insurance letter. If you need assistance, please call 13 74 66 between 7am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday, to talk with one of our Customer Service Representatives.