Submit a self-meter read
If we left a card at your premises to advise we couldn't gain safe and clear access to your electricity meter, you can submit a self-meter read via Customer Self Service. There's a guide on our website on how to read your meter.
If we can't gain access to read your meter, we'll automatically generate an estimated read for your electricity retailer. Or you can submit a self-meter read and ask your electricity retailer to adjust your bill.
If you own a dog, you can register to receive SMS and/or email alerts 24 hours before your meter is due to be read. That way, you can ensure your dog is suitably restrained when the meter reader arrives. For more information see meter-read alerts for dog owners.
What you can do to help us
To provide safe and clear access to your premises, you ensure:
- dogs are suitably restrained (see below) or away from the meter
- if you use a lock, that it's authorised by us to secure your gate or other property access point
- that the meter is clear of vegetation, insects, vehicles and other equipment
- that your meter box is moved if it becomes inaccessible because of new fences or building changes.
To update your meter access information, please contact your electricity retailer and provide current access details.
What “suitably restrained dog” means
To confirm your dog is suitably restrained, we must be able to physically sight your dog and confirm it is:
- placed securely inside the house behind a closed door or other suitable building (e.g. shed); or
- placed securely in a yard or area completely separated from the meter (i.e. locked behind a fence); or
- isolated by either a substantial rope or chain secured to an appropriate anchor point on the ground or to a fixed fitting to ensure our safe access to the meter. (If you chain your dog please remember you're responsible for ensuring they have appropriate water, shade, and food).
Please note it's not adequate to offer to hold a dog by hand i.e. via a collar, holding part of the dog’s body, or having the dog in your arms. We'll consider the premises unsafe to enter if you offer to do this. For safety reasons, our field staff are NOT permitted to enter unless the dog is securely isolated.
For more information please go to safe entry to your premises .
How to check your scheduled meter read date
Meter reads are conducted on a regular basis. A next scheduled read date is forecast and usually shown on your electricity bill. We may visit two business days either side of your next scheduled read date. If your meter read is due in the next 3 business days, you can double check the actual date on our meter reading webpage by entering your National Metering Identifier (NMI).
There's a guide on our website for how to read your meter.