If you want to establish a major electricity connection, our dedicated Major Customer Connections Group can guide and assist you through the connection process.
A Major Customer Connection is defined as:
- A large commercial premises coupled at high voltage or sub-transmission with an installed capacity of greater than 1,000 kVA (1 MVA) at a single site; or
- Generation that is above 30 kVA.
To connect an embedded generator to our distribution network, please visit large embedded generation (this page focuses on the load process).
The major customer connection process
The Major Customer Connection process, which aligns with Chapter 5A of the National Electricity Rules (NER), applies to the connection of a load that exceeds 1,000 kVA or 1 MVA or where power usage is typically above 4 GWh per annum at a single site.
Comprehensive information about the connection process, including the services we provide and the relevant fees involved, is contained in our Major Customer Connection Load and Connection Services Guideline (PDF 3.0 mb).
There are four main stages in the process of applying for a new or modified Major Customer Connection.
- Enquiry and technical assessment Submit a formal connection enquiry and choose your preferred connection option, which will then be scoped and estimated.
- Application and offer to connect A formal connection application is submitted and we will complete further scoping and estimating to provide an offer to you to connect.
- Offer acceptance You consider the offer and complete the necessary agreements to accept the offer.
- Detailed design, construction and commissioning Detailed design is finalised and the connection is constructed and energised.
As part of this process, you may need to complete the following forms:
- Major Customer Load and Connection Services Enquiry form (PDF 617.2 kb)
- Major Customer Load and Connection Services Application Form (PDF 745.4 kb)
Dedicated project sponsor
After we receive your enquiry, we will allocate a Project Sponsor who will be your single point of contact right through the connection process. They'll maintain regular contact with you and do their best to ensure your needs are met.
Model connection agreements
To establish or modify a Major Customer Connection, you will need to enter into a Negotiated Connection Establishment Contract with us. This sets out the works that both parties will need to carry out for the connection.
In addition, due to the nature of your facility, we expect that you will also enter into a separate Negotiated Ongoing Connection Contract. This governs the ongoing connection of your facility to our distribution system after the completion of the works (rather than relying upon the Deemed Standard Connection Contract that applies by default under legislation).
The relevant template agreements for a Major Customer Connection are:
- Large Counterparty Construction Contract (NEM with transfer) (PDF 999.0 kb)
- Large Counterparty Connection Agreement (ICC & CAC). (PDF 1.9 mb)