If you want to establish a major customer connection on our network, our dedicated Major Customer Team can guide and assist you through the connection process.
What is a major customer connection? These connections are typically high rise buildings and commercial or industrial sites, like shopping centres, exhibition centres, warehouses and mine sites.
Definition of a major customer connection
In our latest Pricing Proposal, a Major Customer Connection is defined as one that is for a Connection Asset Customer (CAC), Individually Calculated Customer (ICC) or an Embedded Generator (EG). These are usually sites where the load exceeds 1,000 kVA or 1 MVA or where power usage is typically above 4 GWh per annum at a single site or generation that is above 30 kV.
To connect an embedded generator to our distribution network, please visit Low Voltage Generation Over 30kVA.
Applying for a load connection > 1 MVA
This process covers load connections greater than 1 MVA, and aligns with Chapter 5A of the National Electricity Rules (NER). Comprehensive information about the connection process, including the services we provide and the relevant fees involved, is contained in our Major Customer Connection Load and Connection Services Guideline (PDF 3.0 mb).
There are five main stages in the process:
- Enquiry and technical assessment Submit a formal connection enquiry to us. Your or your consultant can complete and submit our Enquiry form (PDF 487.4 kb). We'll do the necessary network investigations and provide an estimate of costs and timeframes after receiving all the required information from you. This estimate should help you to decide if you'll proceed and submit a connection application.
After we receive your enquiry, we will allocate a Project Sponsor who will be your single point of contact right through the connection process. They'll maintain regular contact with you and do their best to ensure your needs are met.
- Application and offer to connect If you wish to proceed, your consultant can submit the application on your behalf or you can complete and submit our Application Form (PDF 458.3 kb).
- Offer acceptance You consider the offer and complete the necessary agreements to accept the offer.
- Connection contract The National Electricity Rules provides that after a Connection Application is made, the parties are to enter into a Negotiated Ongoing Connection Contract (we call this the Connection Agreement). This governs the ongoing connection of your facility to our distribution network after the completion of the works (rather than rely upon the Deemed Standard Connection Contract that applies by default under legislation).
In addition, where works are required to establish or modify a generation connection to our distribution network, we require you to enter into a Negotiated Connection Establishment Contract (we call this the Construction Contract). This sets out the works that both parties will need to perform for the connection.
- Detailed design, construction and commissioning Detailed design is finalised and the connection is constructed and energised.
Applying for a HV generation connection
For connecting a high voltage embedded generator, please refer to our Large Generation webpage.
Get in touch
Do you have a specific question about a major customer connection? If so, please refer to our Major Customer Team webpage.