Ergon Energy is an organisation that is required to comply with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and, in its role as a Credit Provider under Part IIIA Credit Reporting of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Ergon Energy is committed to protecting the personal information of individuals collected as part of its business operations.
Ergon Energy collects various kinds of personal information from individuals for the purposes of:
- connecting, supplying, distributing and retailing electricity
- establishing and managing customer accounts
- providing requested services
- providing customer online self service
- informing of related products and services
- applications for various network connection services
- distribution claims
- promotions and competitions
- community engagement matters
- complaints feedback
- assessing job applications
- reporting and recovering costs for damage to Ergon Energy assets.
We use only lawful and fair means to collect your personal information and take reasonable steps to provide specific privacy notices at the time of collection.
The kinds of personal information collected from individuals may include:
- name, date of birth, current and/or previous address, phone number, other contact details, other relevant identification particulars, Government related identifiers, whether there is a dog on the premise, demographic data, bank account details, previous account information from utility providers, credit related information for billing purposes to establish and manage customer accounts, sensitive information about you such as health-related information to protect your health and safety (for example, if you notify us that life support equipment is used at your supply address)
- details of any complaints
- car registration and identifying details regarding damage to Ergon Energy assets
- job applications and resumes.
Where it is reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect any necessary personal information directly from you. Where relevant and with your consent, we will also confirm personal details with external agencies such as the Queensland Department of Communities , Centrelink, other government agencies, authorised representatives, or from publicly available sources of information. On occasion, when you provide consent for us to do so, we may collect information from other parties such as real estate agents or landlords for confirmation of address, a forwarding address and also for billing and safety purposes.
Individuals have the option of not identifying themselves or using a pseudonym when dealing with Ergon Energy e.g. general inquiries about the services we can offer you. However, this option does not apply where Ergon Energy is required or authorised by or under an Australian law, or a court/tribunal order to deal with individuals who have identified themselves; or where it is impracticable for Ergon Energy to deal with individuals who have not identified themselves or use a pseudonym e.g. when making inquiries regarding their electricity account.
Occasionally, you may need to provide personal information about other individuals to us (for example, about your authorised representatives). If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to us and to advise them that we can be contacted for further information (see contact details below).
As part of its distribution service, Ergon Energy also collects personal information of customers from other electricity retailers via The Market Settlement and Transfer Solution for the purpose of electricity supply. This information includes name, address, phone number, National Metering Identifier (NMI), whether the retailer’s customer is on life support and where nominated by the customer, third party contacts in relation to notification of outages. This collection from other electricity retailers is a requirement under National Electricity Law contained in the Schedule of the National Electricity (South Australia) Act 1996.
All customer personal information, including account information, is held in Ergon Energy’s stand-alone FACOM database. Other customer information is stored in internal PC databases and hard copy paper files. Job applications and associated recruitment information is collected online via www.ergon.com.au and stored with NGA.NET eRecruit system in Melbourne with a backup sent to Recall Pty Ltd. This information is also stored in hardcopy files within Ergon Energy.
We take steps to destroy or de-identify personal information in our records if it is no longer needed, unless we are required to keep the record for the purposes of the Public Records Act 2002 (Qld). If the information is contained in a record it will be required to be kept for minimum periods set out in the relevant Retention and Disposal Schedules approved by the State Archivist.
Information use and disclosure
We may use or disclose your information to:
- verify your identity
- check your previous payment history with Ergon Energy
- undertake a credit history check
- contact you regarding overdue accounts
- recover debt (this may include disclosure to external debt collectors and listing with credit reporting body)
- recover from insurance companies in relation to damaged Ergon Energy assets
- our related body corporates
- our IT service provider subsidiary
- your distributor to enable connection of premises to supply
- verify your eligibility for pensioner rebates
- verify your eligibility for the Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme
- comply with legal and safety requirements
- bill customers for electricity and related service accounts
- improve customer relationships
- inform customers of related products and services
- comply with disclosure requirements where authorised or required by law
- lessen or prevent a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or safety
- comply with other use and disclosure exceptions in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth); and
- for purposes that you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the personal information and is related or (if sensitive information) directly related to the original purpose of collection of the personal information.
Ergon Energy discloses certain personal information of certain individuals to its Cloud Computing service provider Salesforce. The personal information is stored on the servers of Salesforce customer relationship management system in Japan and United States of America and relates to the following individuals:
- Life Support customers
- Hardship customers
- Inverter energy system customers
- Major project customers
- Residential demand management customers
- Energy sustainability market development customers
- Electronic correspondence between customers and the National Call Centre
- Electrical contractors and their customers in relation to Form A submissions online.
Occasionally Ergon Energy may also contract the services of a third party, for example, to provide services such as vegetation management or distribute promotional material on our behalf. Ergon Energy contractors are contractually obliged to adhere to privacy requirements.
We do not on sell Ergon Energy customer information to third parties for their marketing purposes.
Direct marketing and customer preferences
We may use your information to contact you about new offers, products and services. You have a choice to opt-out of receiving direct marketing materials. If you do not wish to receive this information, please contact us on 13 10 46 to advise that you do wish to opt out of receiving Ergon Energy marketing material.
Help us to ensure we hold accurate information
We aim to ensure that your personal details are accurate, complete, and up-to-date when we use or collect them. We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That is why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your personal information such as your name or address
- change your personal details by using the relevant facility on our website.
Access to and correction of personal information
You have a right to apply for access to your personal information, subject to some exceptions under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). A charge may be imposed for giving access to the personal information, but will not be excessive. You also have a right to apply for correction of your personal information, if you consider the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. A request for access to your information or to have it corrected can be initially directed to Ergon Energy's Contact Centre on 13 10 46 or if there is any query regarding such a request, to the Privacy Contact Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ergon Energy will take reasonable steps to correct information if it can establish that the personal information is not accurate, complete or up-to-date. If you are not satisfied with the response in relation to access to and correction of your personal information you will be advised of the mechanisms available to make a complaint about the refusal.
As Ergon Energy is Government Owned Corporation you also have a right under the Information Privacy Act (Qld) 2009 to apply for access to or amendment of your own personal information. If you are dissatisfied with a decision you have appeal rights to the Queensland Office of the Information Commissioner. You can download the required forms by clicking the links below:
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please contact the Privacy Officer on 13 10 46 or (07) 3851 6000 between 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday. Please note that this number is not for general service enquiries. Alternatively you may send an email to email@example.com.
Privacy complaints process
If an individual believes that Ergon Energy or a staff member has not dealt with their personal information in accordance with the APPs a complaint may be made to Ergon Energy’s Privacy Officer. The complaint must be in writing and set out what occurred and what the person considers is the breach of the APPs. The complaint should be made as soon as possible after the breach was suspected to have occurred and in any case preferably within 12 months from the date when the breach was suspected to have occurred, and should include as much detail as possible about the incident.
If you wish to submit a privacy complaint online please use our Privacy Complaint form.
The Privacy Contact Officer can also provide more information about complaint handling procedures. You may contact the Privacy Contact Officer on (07) 3851 6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org or send a written privacy complaint to:
Privacy Contact Officer
PO Box 264
Fortitude Valley Qld 4006
Complaints will be acknowledged in writing within 7 days. Ergon Energy will process each complaint within 30 days from receipt and will advise the complainant of Ergon Energy’s complaint investigation outcome, including any remedies that are considered appropriate to resolve the complaint.
If a complainant is not satisfied with this outcome, the complainant may contact the Commonwealth Privacy Commissioner on Privacy Enquiries Line 1300 363 992 to pursue the complaint.
Protection of customer details online
We have taken steps to ensure security of your internet transactions and credit card details and other personal information by developing and using a secure server and SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption methods. This safeguards your data against misuse, loss or unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure.
This website uses "cookies" to provide a number of services to you. A cookie is a piece of data that a website sends to your browser and which may then be stored on your computer temporarily. Cookies generally allow the website you are browsing to interact more efficiently with your computer. The cookies we use are non-persistent, meaning that they allow you to operate efficiently with our web sites, but once you have ended your session the cookies are no longer active.
Usually you can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie, so that you can decide whether to accept it. However sometimes, if you do not accept a cookie it may affect your use of our web site.
The cookies used by Ergon Energy are not used to track your specific or personal browsing habits. We use these cookies to collect statistical information, such as how many people visit our website and how these users interact with the site. Ergon Energy collects and uses this de-identified information to maintain and improve the operation of our website.
From time to time we may also collect non-personal information from you. This helps us in our ongoing efforts to improve our website and the online experience for our customers. We also monitor customer usage of our website to collect statistical information only, such as how many people visit our website, the web pages visited, and how the users interact with the site. Ergon Energy collects and uses this de-identified information to maintain and improve the operation of its website.