In 2001, Ergon Energy made an important commitment to communities along a cyclone-prone section of the northern Queensland coast through the Cyclone Area Reliability Enhancement (CARE) Program.
CARE is designed to improve the reliability of power supply to key community infrastructure and reduce the risk of damage to our network by undergrounding high voltage powerlines in key sections of our network in cyclone-prone areas.
While severe weather may still affect power, CARE improvements are designed to allow faster restoration of power to key community facilities and adjoining sections of the network.
CARE projects include:
- Hospitals, health care facilities and aged care homes
- Emergency services and disaster control centres
- Water and sewerage infrastructure
- Community buildings and schools
- Shopping centres
- Transport facilities and airports
- Other areas deemed to be of useful community amenity.