Inside the home
It's important to ensure safety is always a priority inside the home.
- Maintain your air conditioning regularly, particularly before the summer cooling and winter heating periods
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning air filters and coils
- Consider whether you need a professional to clean and inspect your air conditioning units if you are unsure of their condition.
Appliances and electrical fittings
- Switch off the power before plugging or unplugging appliances, and hold the plug, not the cord
- Always switch off appliances before cleaning them
- Never stick a knife into a toaster to release stuck toast
- Electric blankets spend much of their lives in storage and can be easily damaged. Always store them flat and check carefully before use. If there are signs of misuse or damage, have it checked by a licensed electrical contractor (try Master Electricians)
- Never piggyback double adapters. If you need extra power points, have a licensed electrical contractor install additional outlets, or use a powerboard
- Always check for concealed electrical cables before drilling into walls, floors and ceilings. Be particularly careful when drilling around power points and light switches.
- Test your safety switch every three months
- Install smoke detectors and test them regularly
- Wear appropriate clothing for the job being done e.g. safety glasses, ear plugs
- Do regular safety checks to ensure your appliances and electrical fittings are safe
- Replace damaged power points and frayed, perished or damaged cords.
Don't do it yourself
- If you are a home handy person, draw the line at electrical jobs. Doing your own electrical work isn't only dangerous, it's illegal
- Always use a licensed electrical contractor (try Master Electricians)
- Always buy ready-made leads and extension cords - never make them yourself at home.
Water and electricity
Water and electricity don't mix. Indoors, the bathroom and laundry are particularly dangerous because water is a conductor of electricity. An electric shock can be more serious if you have bare feet and wet skin. So, always remember:
- Never touch electrical appliances or switches with wet hands
- Check appliances are a safe distance from water
- Never leave a hair dryer or shaver plugged into a power point – it could fall into the bath or basin.
- Never touch a cord, power point or appliance that has caused a shock. Prevent anyone from using it and have it checked and repaired by a licensed electrical contractor
- If you experience tingles or shocks from an electrical appliance or water taps, call us immediately on 13 16 70, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call your licensed electrical contractor (try Master Electricians or the National Electrical Communications Association) to check your wiring immediately
- Never touch or attempt to rescue someone who is receiving an electric shock - you may end up receiving a shock yourself. If possible turn off the power. Stay well clear and call Triple Zero (000).
Other important safety tips
- Keep emergency numbers close to your telephone in case you need them quickly
- Remember to test smoke detectors regularly and replace the batteries each year
- Keep a safe distance around heaters, especially those with naked flames or exposed heat coils like radiators. Many house fires have been started by portable heaters placed too close to flammable articles such as clothes and children's toys. Be especially careful of children around heaters.
Hi I’m Aaron, I’m going to take you through a simple Home Safety Check to make sure you and your loved ones are always safe around electricity.
Firstly check that the appliances in your home are not damaged.
The kitchen is a good place to start but you should do this for every room in your home and do it regularly.
Check to see that each appliance is in good working order and that you don’t have any frayed cords.
While you’re there you can also check that switches and powerpoints aren’t damaged or overloaded with piggyback plugs.
This is also a good time to check if you need any covers for your power points.
They can help make your home
child-safe and prevent little fingers and other objects from getting into dangerous places.
OK, let’s move to the bathroom to remove any possible dangers.
Always make sure you haven’t left any appliances on or too close to the basin. Water and electricity just don’t mix and that includes wet hands.
Now, let’s take a look at some important safety gear.
Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are lifesavers. Invest in both and regularly check that your alarms are working.
Fire blankets and fire extinguishers should be in easily accessible locations.
You should also make sure that everyone in your family knows how to use the emergency equipment.
Finally, always have your emergency numbers close to your telephone in case you need them quickly.
So remember, around your home, a little preparation and common sense go along way to keeping your loved ones safe. And of course, don’t ever attempt to do your own electrical work, it’s dangerous and illegal. Always invest in the services of a licensed electrical contractor.
While you’re online why not check out our other short electrical safety videos. And remember, make your safety checks routine and always be aware of the dangers of electricity.