A safety switch protects you and your employees against the most frequent cause of electrocution - a shock from electricity passing through the body to the earth.
How do they work?
If a fault occurs in an appliance or wiring, causing current to flow to earth, a safety switch's earth leakage sensor responds to the imbalance and cuts the power. This happens in less than a heartbeat, potentially preventing electrocution.
Do you have one?
Your workplace should have a safety switch. You can check on your switchboard by looking for a 'test' or 'reset' button.
Is it working?
If you have a safety switch installed, it should be tested every three months. Simply press the 'test' button once and the switch should automatically trip - that means it's working. Then you must reset the switch by turning it back 'on'. And remember, if you're unsure, seek advice from a licensed electrical contractor (try Master Electricians).
Testing the safety switch will cut your power supply so be aware that you'll need to reset your electrical clocks, etc.