Pialba substation expansion
The Pialba substation expansion project has been deferred. This is due to a reduction in electricity load growth since acquiring land next to the existing Pialba substation, as well as changes to our electricity planning guidelines which determine when electricity infrastructure is required.
We will continue to monitor the future power needs of the region and we’ll keep the community informed when there is a need for this project to progress in the future.
- Ergon Energy has identified the need to update the existing Pialba substation to cater for increased electrical load in the area.
- The Pialba substation is more than 50 years old and is in need of significant maintenance to cater for increased electrical load. To ensure electrical supply is maintained during the upgrade Ergon Energy has identified the best solution would be to acquire land adjacent to the existing site and construct a new substation across both Lots.
- The location of the site also ensures no additional powerline infrastructure is required to connect the new substation with the existing high-voltage network.
- We are committed to building a more visually appealing substation than the existing Pialba substation and limiting the impact on surrounding residents. The substation will include a modern building with some electrical infrastructure in a fenced yard. Landscaping and fencing will be used to visually screen the yard from nearby residences and passing traffic.
- The design and layout of the new substation (which incorporates both the existing and new site) is yet to commence.
- Ergon Energy will update government stakeholders and residents as the project progresses into the design phase when artist impressions and the proposed layout of the proposed substation will be made available.
Ergon Energy has purchased land to the north of the existing Pialba substation site.
View the Pialba substation expansion map (PDF 261 kb) in further detail.
Frequently asked questions
Download the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 184 kb) for the Pialba substation expansion project.
Why is a new substation needed?
As a result of increased electrical load in the area and the ageing infrastructure within the existing Pialba substation, Ergon Energy has identified the need to modernise and upgrade the substation. Additional land adjacent to the existing substation site was acquired in order to construct a new substation.
Were other locations considered?
An assessment has been made of a number of potential locations for the substation site. The current site on Doolong Road has been selected based on the criteria of proximity to the electrical load; site access for construction, operation and maintenance; access to the existing power line network; environmental impacts; social impacts on community and whole of life costs including acquisition of the site, construction of the substation and distribution of the power.
What will the substation look like?
Ergon Energy is committed to building a more visually appealing substation than the existing Pialba substation and limiting the impact on surrounding residents. The substation will include a modern building with some electrical infrastructure in a fenced yard. Landscaping and fencing will be used to visually screen the yard from nearby residences and passing traffic. More detailed artists impressions will be available once the project has moved into the design phase.
Will there be any screening outside the substation?
As part of the design for the substation, landscaping will be used around the boundary of the site to improve its appearance and help provide screening from the road and nearby properties. Plant species that are native to the area will be chosen, as well as those that are suitable for planting close to electrical infrastructure (due to height restrictions, falling debris, etc). Fencing is also used to screen the substation from the surrounding community.
Will the substation be fenced?
All Ergon Energy substations are fully enclosed by fencing as a security measure to protect members of the community from possible harm and to avoid any damage occurring to electrical infrastructure. This fencing can be a combination of wire fencing for security purposes, and/or timber fencing to provide screening of the substation from the street and help improve the visual amenity.
Project contact details
For more information about the proposed Pialba substation expansion project, please contact us on:
Phone: 1300 653 055
Post: PO Box 163, Maryborough, QLD, 4650
Or complete our online project feedback form.
Ergon Energy will continue to keep the community informed as the project progresses via letters, newsletters, stakeholder meetings and via the Ergon Energy website.