If you have a query about becoming an apprentice with us, you should find the answers here in our frequently asked questions.
Who can apply?
We value diversity and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply including women, mature age applicants, school leavers and members of indigenous and other minority groups.
I'm a mature aged person. Do you accept applications from a mature person?
We welcome the diversity that all age groups bring to our workforce and we follow a merit based recruitment process. Applications from mature aged people are certainly accepted.
I'm under 17 years of age. Do you accept applications from someone under 17 years of age?
Applicants must be 17 years of age and have completed Year 12 schooling by the date of the apprenticeship commencement.
I don't have permanent residency. Can I apply for an apprenticeship?
No, you need to be a permanent resident or hold a subclass 866 or 200 visa.
I'm currently completing an apprenticeship. Do you accept applications from current apprentices?
No, if you are currently registered with an RTO or under a current training contract, we can't accept your application. We'll consider your application if you've recently been made redundant or if your current employer is out of work and willing to release you from your current training and employment contract. You'll need to upload a redundancy notification/release from your current employer in the application form.
What are the educational requirements?
Apprentice Electrician, Communications Technician, Apprentice Distribution Linesperson, Apprentice Transmission Linesperson & Mechanical Trade (Diesel Fitting)
To apply for these trade types, you must have at least one of the following:
- completed Year 12 and passed Senior Maths A or General Maths, English and a Science subject is highly advantageous, or
- completed equivalent pre-vocational studies including a *Certificate II in Electrotechnology, or
- have relevant work experience.
We're an equal opportunity employer and encourage all people who are interested in completing an apprenticeship to apply.
* While Certificate II in Electrotechnology is advantageous, it doesn't guarantee you progression through the recruitment process.
How do I apply?
Apprenticeship vacancies are advertised usually twice a year. Visit our Positions and loacations webpage to see if we’re advertising for applications now. You can also set up a Job Alert which will ensure you are notified when we next advertise for apprentices.
You first to need to decide which apprenticeship type and location you're applying for, because you can only apply for one. You can then apply online as follows:
- Get prepared - To complete an application you'll need:
- a current email address that you use regularly
- a current resume
- your latest school results
- two referee names and contact details.
- Start application - Go to our Apprentices Job Listings page and select 'Start new application'.
- Register - If you haven't already registered with the site, you'll be asked to set up an account. This allows you to save your application and complete it later.
- Complete application - Make sure that you complete all required fields. When prompted, you'll also have to upload your resume along with any school, tertiary or university results.
- Submit - Once you've filled everything in, you can submit your application.
- Confirmation You'll be notified by email when we receive your application. If you do not receive an email confirmation that your application has been received, please review your application again to ensure you have submitted the application completely.
What is the selection process & do I have to complete every step?
You must participate in each stage of the recruitment process to be considered for an apprenticeship position. The full recruitment process will involve:
- Application - Completion of an online application form.
- Assessment Centre - If successful, you'll be invited to attend an assessment centre, where you'll participate in team activities and supervised aptitude testing. Your attendance is mandatory.
- Panel Interview - You'll need to attend a panel interview with our representatives.
- Reference Checks - You'll need to supply two referees and their contact details. Note, this can't be family members or anyone directly related to you.
- Medical - You'll need to undertake a medical at a relevant medical centre. This will be organised and paid for by us.
- Offer Stage - You'll receive a verbal offer of employment, followed by an electronic offer and relevant new starter information.
- Commencement - Employment will commence in late January or early February 2018.
What if I can't attend an assessment centre or panel interview?
Due to the sheer volume of applicants and locations, we can't change location or date/times for assessment centres or panel interviews. We'll let you know as soon as possible when assessments and interviews are held so you have time to make yourself available.
What will my salary be?
Employment conditions are regulated by the relevant legal agreement.
For Apprentice Electrician, Distribution Linesperson, Underground Cable Jointer, Communications Technician and Mechanical Trade (Diesel Fitter) roles, an indication of your first year salary will be:
- Salary commencing from $31,074 per annum + superannuation
All of your uniforms, personal protective equipment and tools are supplied and paid for, as well any study, travel and accommodation costs.
Will I have my uniforms supplied?
All of your uniforms, personal protective equipment and tools are supplied and paid for, as well as have any study, travel and accommodation costs.
What will my hours be?
Apprentices work a 72 hour, nine day fortnight. The start and finish times may vary at different work locations, however your standard working day will be eight hours.
Please note: You may be required to travel to other locations and complete overtime as required.
Do you pay relocation costs?
We don't cover the cost to relocate as a new apprentice. It's your responsibility to relocate to the area near the depot you are allocated to.
Can I apply for more than one apprenticeship or location?
No. You'll only select your preferred location and apprenticeship type.
Visit our Positions and locations webpage to see if we’re advertising apprenticeships right now.