Removal of connection

Removing an electricity network connection (or abolishing supply) usually occurs when a building is planned for demolition, removal or relocation. We will remove the electricity service line and other electrical assets like Ergon meters, relays, etc from the premises.

Once the connection has been removed, its National Metering Identifier (NMI) will be cancelled.

How do I request supply abolishment?

You need to contact your electricity retailer and advise you wish to remove your network connection at your premises. Once we receive a service order request from your retailer, we will complete the work in the timeframes below. Your electricity retailer will also arrange the removal of any non-Ergon meters on site.

If you don’t know the current electricity retailer for the premises, you can call us on 13 74 66.

How long will it take?

Once we have received a service order request from your electricity retailer, we will remove the connection within the below timeframes.

AreaRemoval timeframe
UrbanWe will remove the network connection within 20 business days.
Rural and isolatedThe date of connection removal will be agreed between your electricity retailer and us.

For more information on approximate timeframes, call us on 13 74 66.

Please note: We will leave a card at the property to let you know when the connection has been removed.

Important: Building demolition or removal cannot, under any circumstances, start until we have confirmed in writing that the work to remove the connection has been completed.

How much will it cost?

The fee for a supply abolishment service is a fixed charge as outlined below.

Please note: These are the fees we charge your electricity retailer for this service. Your electricity retailer can advise you on final costs.

ServiceHow you are billedCharge $ (excl GST) as current for 2021-22 year
Supply Abolishment – decommissioning of one National Metering Identifier (NMI).The charges will be included in the next bill you receive from your electricity retailer.$473.991


For a comprehensive list of charges, see our latest Network Price List on our Network Tariffs page (refer to sheet ACS Fee-based, Supply Abolishment).

Important information

You may be at risk of electrocution if building demolition or removal is started without our written confirmation that the network connection has been removed.

If you would like to check on the progress, contact your electricity retailer or you can call us on 13 74 66.

To reconnect your electricity network supply after abolishment, you will need to request a new connection.


  1. This amount is for service line removal only during business hours
  2. This amount is for meter removal during business hours, if there is an Ergon meter on site.