Connection services charges
What we charge for customer connection services is controlled by the Australian Energy Regulator (AER)1.
Customer connection services include services such as new connections, changes to an existing connection, and the ongoing connection and supply of electricity across a connection point.
The AER has classified our regulated distribution services (which include customer connection services) into Standard Control Services and Alternative Control Services.
Standard control services
Standard Control Services (SCS) are core distribution services associated with the access and supply of electricity to customers. They include:
- Network services (e.g. construction, maintenance and repair of the network)
- Some connection services (e.g. small customer connections)
- Type 7 metering services.
We recover our costs in providing SCS through network tariffs billed to electricity retailers.
Alternative control services
Alternative Control Services (ACS) are customer specific and/or customer requested services.
ACS are either price capped services (fee-based services) for standard types of services, or price on application (quoted services) for services with a scope not known in advance. They include:
- Connection services – services relating to the electrical or physical connection of a customer to the network. Examples include temporary connections, de-energisations, re-energisations, temporary connections and supply abolishment.
- Metering services – services include Type 5 and 6 default metering services (meter maintenance, reading and data services) and auxiliary metering services (Type 5 and 6 meter removal and disposal, meter re-configuration and customer requested meter investigations).
- Public lighting services – services relate to the provision, installation and maintenance of public lighting assets and emerging public lighting technology.
- Network additional (ancillary) services – customer and third party initiated services related to the common distribution network services but for which a separate charge applies. Examples include network safety services, non-standard network data requests and removal or re-arrangement of network assets.
For more information on our charges for customer connection services, please view our Network tariffs webpage.
- We are subject to economic regulation by the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) under the National Electricity Law (the NEL) and the National Electricity Rules. Under these laws, the AER is responsible for regulating the revenues that we can earn and the prices that we can charge for customer connection services.