Facebook pixel code

Keep warm without the risk

Published: 6 Jun 2018 11:49am

The cold snap is prompting some North Queenslanders to take their heating appliances and electric blankets out of storage.

Unfortunately, all too frequently these appliances can become damaged when packed away for long periods.

Ergon Energy’s Executive General Manager for Distribution Paul Jordon warns damaged heating appliances can pose significant safety risks such as fire and electrocution hazards.

“In Queensland, electrical appliances such as heaters and electric blankets spend most of their life packed away in cupboards or in the shed and only plugged in during the coldest winter nights,” Mr Jordon said.

“The problem is these appliances can sustain damage while in long-term storage and when plugged in can cause house fires, electric shock injuries or worse.

“So we’re urging people to check their appliances for frayed cords, exposed wires or any other obvious damage before plugging them in.

“If the appliance is damaged in any way either have it repaired by a qualified technician or simply throw it out because the life of a family member is worth much more than the $30 you can replace some of these items for.”

Other winter electrical safety tips include:

  • Switch heaters and electric blankets off before leaving a room or going to sleep, and ensure children are never left unsupervised with these appliances running.
  • Keep heaters well away from combustible items such as curtains, clothes or furniture.
  • Never use heaters in wet areas such as bathrooms.
  • Making sure heaters cannot be knocked over by people or pets.
  • Store heating appliances in a dry area and away from vermin when not in use.

Media Contact: Emma Oliveri
Phone: 0457 566 079

Open welcome popup

EasyPay Rewards has been extended!

Apply by 30 Sept 2018 to receive $75 each year for residential customers and $120 each year for businesses.