Facebook pixel code

Is your life worth $30?

Published: 7 Jun 2017 11:49am

New single electric blankets and heaters can be purchased for as little as $30 so is using a damaged one worth risking the life of a loved one?

According to Customer Delivery Manager Chester Brodie each year many fires and electric shocks are caused by faulty electrical heating equipment and could be easily avoided.

“For most of the year heating appliances are stored out of sight in sheds, ceiling spaces and in cupboards but it is here they can suffer damage becoming a serious safety risk,” he said.

“So before people plug in their heaters or electric blankets for the first time this winter it’s crucial they check for signs of damage such as frayed cords, exposed wires, damaged plugs and any other obvious dangers.

“If the appliance does have signs of damage it’s best to either have it repaired by a qualified technician or simply thrown away it’s not worth risking the life of a loved one.”

Other heater winter electrical safety tips suggested by Mr Brodie include:

  • Heaters and electric blankets should always be switched off before you leave the room or go to sleep, and children should never be left unsupervised with these appliances running.
  • Never place heaters near combustible items such as curtains or clothes, as they may catch on fire, and never use heaters in wet areas such as bathrooms.
  • Never use heaters where they can be knocked over by people or pets.
  • Once winter is over ensure heaters and electric blankets are stored safely away from wet areas or where they can be damaged by sharp objects or rodents.

More tips are available from the Ergon energy web site: https://www.ergon.com.au/network/safety/home-safety/inside-the-home

Media Contact: Corporate Communications Manager John Fowler
Phone: 0417283713

Open welcome popup

Don’t get steamed up by summer bills.

Get $75 each year for residential customers or $120 each year for businesses with EasyPay Rewards.