Facebook pixel code

Electrical safety - inspect homes for damage

Published: 6 Apr 2017 2:10pm

A house fire at Cannonvale is a warning for cyclone-impacted people to check their properties for physical damage before power is reconnected according to Ergon Energy.

Corporate Communications Manager John Fowler said the recent fire appeared to have been be caused by water damaged wiring when power was restored to the property.

“Power was turned off to the property to allow emergency services to attend. Our crews inspected the rear of the property and there were tiles missing from the roof which we believe allowed water to contact internal electrical wiring which was the cause of the fire when power was restored,” he said.

The incident serves as reminder for people to visually inspect the outside of their property for any damage after a storm.

“Any damage to a property, whether caused by Tropical Cyclone Debbie or not, should be repaired as soon as possible to avoid water contacting internal electrical wiring.”

“If people are unsure, they should get a licensed electrical contractor to check their wiring and installation as soon as possible before power is restored,” he said.

Power cannot be reconnected to the Cannonvale house until its electrical installation is checked and approved as safe by a licensed electrical contractor.

Media Contact: John Fowler
Phone: 0417283713

Open welcome popup

We've made a few changes so that you can find information more easily.