Community Fund offers grants up to $5000
Published: 9 Aug 2015 11:00pm
Community groups can apply for grants up to $5000 to deliver electrical safety or energy efficiency projects in regional Queensland.
Applications are now open for Ergon Energy's Community Fund with grants between $200 and $5000 available for individual organisations and $50,000 in total to be shared.
Community Strategy Manager Sara Collins encouraged local not-for-profit groups to develop innovative ideas that could benefit them and inspire their local community to adopt energy efficient and electrically safe behaviours.
Examples of the sort of projects that could attract funding include those that:
- Reduce energy consumption, particularly during the peak period between 4pm and 8pm.
- Upgrade equipment to more energy efficient models.
- Educate and encourage people to change the way they use energy.
- Use or promote renewable energy alternatives (solar, wind, hydro and biomass).
- Adopt energy management systems to monitor, measure and control a building's electrical load.
- Keep the community safe around electricity.
Last year, 14 community groups from Cooktown to Pittsworth received funding for projects as diverse as solar heating a swimming pool, insulating ceilings, installing LED lighting and recycling water.
"Grants were awarded to schools, sporting groups, a men's shed, charity organisations, community halls, a history museum, an aged care facility and a plant nursery," Mrs Collins said.
"Most projects will not only improve facilities for members of the groups that successfully applied for grants, but many other local residents in those areas will also benefit directly or indirectly.
"The projects will also serve an important role in educating the wider community on the importance of electrical safety and energy efficiency."
Applications for the next funding round will close at 5pm on Monday, September 14.
For more details or to obtain an application form, visit the Ergon Energy website at ergon.com.au/communityfund.
Media Contact: Rod Rehbein
Phone: 4153 9813 or 0407 031 072