If you have a query about becoming an Ergon Energy apprentice, hopefully you should find the answers here in our frequently asked questions.
Who can apply?
We value diversity and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply including women, mature age applicants, school leavers and members of indigenous and other minority groups.
I'm a mature aged person. Do you accept applications from a mature person?
We welcome the diversity that all age groups bring to our workforce and we follow a merit based recruitment process. Applications from mature aged people are certainly accepted.
I'm under 17 years of age. Do you accept applications from someone under 17 years of age?
Applicants must be 17 years of age and have completed Year 12 schooling by the date of the apprenticeship commencement.
I do not have permanent residency. Can I apply for an apprenticeship?
No, you need to be a permanent resident or hold a subclass 866 or 200 visa.
I'm currently completing an apprenticeship. Do you accept applications from current apprentices?
No, if you are currently registered with an RTO or under a current training contract, we cannot accept your application. We will consider your application if you have recently been made redundant or if your current employer is out of work and willing to release you from your current training and employment contract. You will need to upload a redundancy notification/release from your current employer in the application form.
What are the educational requirements?
Apprentice Electrician, Communications Technician, Apprentice Distribution Linesperson, Apprentice Transmission Linesperson & Mechanical Trade (Diesel Fitting)
To apply for these trade types, you must have at least one of the following:
- Completed Year 12 and passed Maths A, B or C, English or English Communications, and a Science subject (highly advantageous), or
- completed equivalent pre-vocational studies including a Certificate II in Electrotechnology or relevant work experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all people who are interested in completing an apprenticeship to apply.
How do I apply?
Before you begin, you will need to decide which apprenticeship type and location you're interested in applying for.
To complete an application you will require:
- a current email address that you use regularly
- a current resume
- your latest school results
- two referee names and contact details.
To start your application, go to our job vacancies page and click on the 'Apprenticeships' current vacancies link
Select 'Start new application'. If you haven't already registered with the site, you will be asked to set up an account. This allows you to save your application and complete it later
Fill in the online application form. Make sure that you complete all required fields. When prompted, you'll also have to upload your resume along with any school, tertiary or university results
Once you've filled everything in, you can submit your application
You'll be notified by email when we receive your application. If you do not receive an email confirmation that your application has been received, please review your application again to ensure you have submitted the application completely.
What is the selection process & do I have to complete every step?
You must participate in each stage of the recruitment process to be considered for an apprenticeship position. The full recruitment process will involve:
- Application - completion of an online application form
- Assessment centre - if successful, you will be invited to attend an assessment centre, where you will participate in team activities and supervised aptitude testing. Your attendance is mandatory
- Panel Interview - you will need to attend a panel interview with Ergon Energy representatives
- Reference checks - you will need to supply two referees and their contact details. Note, this cannot be family members or anyone directly related to you
- Medical - you will need to undertake a medical at a relevant medical centre. This will be organised and paid for by Ergon Energy
- Offer stage - you will receive a verbal offer of employment, followed by an electronic offer and relevant new starter information
- Commencement - employment will commence in late January or early February 2018.
What if I am not able to attend an assessment centre or panel interview?
Due to the sheer volume of applicants and locations, we are unable to change location or date/times for assessment centres or panel interviews. An outline of these timeframes will be emailed to you upon completion of your application for an apprenticeship to help ensure you are available during these key timeframes.
What will my salary be?
Employment conditions within Ergon Energy are regulated by the Ergon Energy Union Collection Agreement 2015. An indication of your first year salary will be:
Apprentice Electrician, Distribution Linesperson, Transmission Linesperson, Mechanical Trade (Diesel Fitter), Apprentice Communications Technician roles:
- Entry level for Juniors (under 21 years of age) - $28,434 per annum
- Entry level for Mature Age (21 & over years of age) - $57,165 per annum
You will also have all of your uniforms, personal protective equipment and tools supplied, as well as have any study, travel and accommodation costs paid for.
What will my hours be?
As an apprentice you will work a 72 hour, nine day fortnight. The start and finish times may vary at different work locations, however your standard working day will be eight hours.
Are relocation costs covered for new apprentices?
We will not cover the cost to relocate as a new apprentice. It is your responsibility to relocate to the area near the depot you are allocated to.
Can I apply for more than one apprenticeship or location?
No. You will only select your preferred location and apprenticeship type.